In this tutorial we will learn how to root the Motorola Backflip 1.5 cupcake with the rageagainstthecage method.
First of all make sure you have the following installed and setup.
- Download Motorola Backflip USB drivers for 32bit/x86 or 64bit/x64 and install.
- Download the android sdk and extract it in your c drive and check if adb.exe is present in “c:\android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools”
- Download the rageagainstthecage file and unzip and extract to c drive and make sure two files and two folders are present in “c:\Moto_MSM_Root”
- Download this backflip-1.5.bat batch file and save it on your desktop or other place you like.
- Download and install “Terminal Emulator” from market on your Motorola Backflip.
Steps to root your Motorola Backflip 1.5 (Credit: Skrilax_CZ)
- Plug in your Backflip to the computer, and Turn Off the USB Drive on phone.
- Make sure its connected in USB Debugging mode. [Settings->Applications->Development->Check USB Debugging]
- Run the batch file you downloaded in Req. No. 4 by double clicking on it. If a screen shows up and stops at a “$” prompt for you then its ok. If the black screen closes instantly make sure you have extracted the files correctly as mentioned in the requirements.
- Open the “Terminal Emulator” on your Backflip, that you installed from market and type:
Wait until you see this message – don’t press anything:
[+] Forked xxxx childs.
- Then press enter and type “exit” to close the terminal (or close it via the menu)
- Open the Terminal Emulator on the phone (if you get the message that terminal died, dismiss it and run it again)
- If you end up with “#” prompt, do the following. Otherwise reboot the phone and try opening the “Terminal Emulator” again. If even that doesn’t give “#” prompt, then go back to step 4.
- Type the following into the Terminal Emulator on your Motorola Backflip:
. /data/local/tmp/install-root.sh (if the script prints nothing, then it was successful) exit exit
- Now your Motorola Backflip 1.5 is successfully rooted.
Code in backflip-1.5.bat
cd c:\android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools adb start-server adb push c:\Moto_MSM_Root\1.5\Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk adb push c:\Moto_MSM_Root\1.5\su /sdcard/su adb push c:\Moto_MSM_Root\rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin adb push c:\Moto_MSM_Root\install-root.sh /data/local/tmp/install-root.sh adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/install-root.sh adb shell
Code in install-root.sh
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system cat /sdcard/su > /system/xbin/su chown root.root /system/xbin/su chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su cat /sdcard/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk chown root.root /system/app/Superuser.apk chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system