[Important] Tutorial and Files for Froyo for Motorola Backflip are up
In this post I will share a tutorial to update Motorola Backflip from 1.5 to 2.1 Eclair with JIT, Multitouch support and Ext4 file system support. The stock US Motorola Backflip Eclair doesn’t have Multitouch and this tutorial will give you that also! Motorola says that its best for Non-US Motorola Backflip to remain at Cupcake (Android 1.5). Really?
Here is how all the Motorola Backflip (MB300) owners can bring there out-dated firmwares to eclair for the time being. [HINT : Froyo] Requirements:
- Download the recovery j_r0dd-mb300-v1.8, unzip and copy to your phone’s SD card.
- Download the ROM signed-j_r0dd.preclair.v1.6.zip, and copy to your phone’s SD card.
- Download Motorola Backflip USB drivers for 32bit/x86 or 64bit/x64 and install.
- Download the android sdk and extract it in your c drive.
- Backup all your data(songs, images, videos, contacts, etc.) on phone and sd card. I may not be held responsible later.
[Update] If you are a VIVO, Oi, TIM, Personal Móvil Argentina, Optus & Telcel user then download signed-IT_radio.zip and copy to sd card, and flash this before step 11 and reboot, then continue from step 11. It will update your outdated radio version, which is needed for this ROM.
Procedure to get Eclair Up and Running:
- First of all you should root your Motorola Backflip, if not already have.
- Open command prompt, by typing “cmd” in run.
- Open c drive and navigate to android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools.
- Drag n drop the adb.exe file in command prompt and in the same line type “start-server”, and hit enter. The ADB server will start. Now plug in your phone make sure its in USB Debugging mode.
- Drag n drop adb.exe again in command prompt and type “shell” and hit enter.
- type “su” enter and approve the request on phone if prompted, then type
flash_image recovery /sdcard/j_r0dd-mb300-v1.8.img
- Now you have custom recovery on your phone. #Milestone – 1
- Reboot phone in recovery mode – power off phone –> press and hold camera button –> switch on phone while keeping camera button pressed.Phone will enter fast boot, immediately press volume down key(though will say up pressed) and wait until recovery loads.
- If you want your applications to be installed on sd card instead of phone memory then you will have to format your sd card at this point. See step 9-1 else goto step 10.
- Select “Partition SD” from the sub-menu. Use all the default values and just proceed through the process. Now that all data on your sd card is gone, copy the ROM file again to your card.
- Press the camera button to navigate back to the main menu. Navigate to “USB-MS toggle” and select it(press power button)(this mounts your phone as a drive on your PC, just like “USB Drive” mode). Now copy the Rom again to the sd card.
- After the file is copied, unplug the USB cable and tap the power button on your phone (this ends the USB-MS session).
- On your recovery menu goto Wipe and select “Wipe all” this will delete all data off your phone.
- Press camera button to go back to main recovery menu and select “Flash zip from SD”. You’ll see the text “SDCARD: signed-j_r0dd.preclair.v”. Press the power key. ROM will begin flashing 🙂
- After completion, select “Reboot system now”. It may take upto 10-15 minutes to boot for the first time.
Enjoy your new Motorola Backflip phone with multitouch, app2sd, ext4 support, 3D gallery, froyo Market and froyo Youtube !
To stay updated with latest tips, tricks and hacks and get the latest update on Froyo for Backflip. Like this